
Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I really hope you could help me figure this out and calm down a bit because I am freaking out.My son will be turning 2 next week, and he has speech delay. We've been referred to a speech therapist, and some type of intervention will take place in the fall. We've counted about 60 words. I'm not looking for any diagnosis or anything like that, but I would appreciate positive stories where the kids were "late bloomers" when it came to pretend play, and grew up to be normal and functioning adults (it's more for my peace of mind because I'm in a pretty dark head-space right now).My main concern is pretend play. To be honest, I've stopped reading developmental stuff on the internet because he seemed to develop very well (except the words, but we speak 2.5 languages at home, so I wasn't concerned at that time). I've only learned that children "must" know how to play pretend, or else... [insert dramatic music] there will be other problems.. I feel terribly guilty for not being on top of this. I've been going through some issues, and I totally dropped the ball on this one. I feel that I fucked up my child because I was too lazy to read annoying blog posts (a-la "what to expect").I'm hoping this lovely community would be able to:a. calm me down a bit, andb. help me figure this out. How and where do I even start? What are some of the basic pretend-plays I can do (that don't require buying a bunch of toys)? I looked up some ideas, but I don't know if it's appropriate for my son because he's not familiar with the concepts (ie he doesn't know what a vet is, or what's a post office, or a bakery). So every time I see a list, I get overwhelmed and discouraged because it's not a play I feel confident introducing (and I realize my confidence plays a big role in this). Do I need to drag him to the post office andThings he loves doing: - he sings A LOT! - he loves reciting his ABC's and 123's. That was his focus for the past 4-6 months. - he loves playing with his shapes (that you push through a hole, but he doesn't play with it "properly" - he just moves them from place to place and looks at them. We never tried to teach him how to play it properly). - he loves playing outside - walking up and down the stairs, running up the hill.I love my son, and I know he is fully capable to do all the things that he's supposed to be doing, and the main reason he's not doing it is because of my lack of attention. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2v3KYSl
No comments:
Post a Comment