Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Parenting talks with Friends


I had my daughter when I was fairly young at 18, she's 15 now. My friends all have kids now, between the ages of 3-8 for the most part but I'm ahead of them in life stages and it makes relating to the friends I love really difficult. I've found that discussing the parenting of my teenager with them causes disagreements from all ends of the spectrum. I've got one friend whose Husband works in cyber security and refuses to let their 8 yr old on the internet at all. It's her opinion that my teenager has too much freedom. I have another friend who likes to tell me that their kids will be nothing like mine (in so many words). Everyone thinks they can parent better than someone else and I'm frustrated. Although I've given advice on potty training, toddler tantrums, pick eaters, etc... it's because I've experienced it, I can't say the same for them and it's hard to heed their advice and not brush it off as "they don't know until they experience it."My kid is a good kid; she gets good grades, mostly respectful and well-mannered, and has a great friend base. She's been getting an attitude lately, however, and mouthed off to a teacher and got lunch detention for 3 days. We were shocked that she acted this way, it's not like her, and after some prodding we're pretty sure she did it to get laughs. Telling my friends about what happened resulted in reactions from "She's on the internet too much," to "I'd put that teenager over my knee and beat her ass if she spoke to me that way!" Which, actually, was what my Husband wanted to do but didn't, lol.I dont know what I'm getting at so I'll wrap this up. Is there a teenage parenting sub for people that can relate?? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rPeaq8

No comments:

Post a Comment