
My husband and I have been thinking of buying a home sometime soon, so naturally I've been reading up on the various school districts. We have a 14mo, so this isn't an immediate concern, but still relevant for home-buying. I was really shocked at how different everything is from what I experienced! Class sizes are 25-35 with one teacher, recess is only 20 minutes starting in K, gym only 2 times a week, and kindergarten is a full day and very, very academic. This is in highly ranked schools, too. My sister has worked in schools as a teacher and principal and agrees this is ridiculous. When we grew up, kindergarten was a half day and mostly play, recess was 45+ minutes until high school, gym was a daily thing, and I never had a class bigger than 16 kids until university. How much of a difference does all this make? I'd love to be able to afford a "progressive" private school, but our area (DC metro) is so expensive that there's no way $30k+ for tuition is in the budget unless we get a lot of financial aid, which I don't want to count on. Is it irrational to consider homeschooling through a co-op to ensure a developmentally appropriate education with better ratios? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2r9uvK5
No comments:
Post a Comment