Tuesday, 23 May 2017

FIL is a creep


Throwaway here because I just don't want this associated with my real account. Also not sure if this is the best sub but not sure where else to post.So my FIL was arrested decades ago, when my SO was still a kid, for taking naked pictures of my SIL and her friends when they were around 6-7 years old. He supposedly went through therapy and says he hasn't done anything since but for obvious reasons we do not trust him and have told him under no circumstances will he ever be around our children alone.What's been bugging me since our DD was born is what sort of responsibility we have to other parents here. I feel uncomfortable having him over/around in situations where children will be present (like birthday parties) and have the other parents not know that their children are around a pedophile. At the same time, telling people about it feels gossipy, especially since it happened so long ago, and since we will be vigilant about what he's doing. However, we can't possibly watch him like a hawk and be good hosts at the same time. For example, we recently had DD's birthday party and I happened to notice him walking off to an empty room with her so I cut off a conversation I was having with another guest to follow him. It felt rude but there was no way I was letting him walk off alone with my girl. Having more than two sets of eyes would be helpful but again, I'm not sure it's my place to share this. Or if I'm reading more into things because I know about his past. I'd tell my parents, but they already aren't a big fan of his so I don't want to stir up more interfamily drama.What would you do as a parent in this situation? As a parent, would you want to know about this man's history? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qgRTjS

No comments:

Post a Comment