Sunday, 19 March 2017

Not seeing eye to eye with dad


He and I come from different backgrounds and cultures. Which has never really been an issue until recently when something happened to me and I tried to talk to him about it. I am African American and I grew up in a rural area being the only person in my entire school of color. And unfortunately I was the butt of mean jokes and made fun of. He is Caucasian and grew up in a small rural town(an hour away) and not really exposed to any other cultures.We met when I was 17, hit it off, moved in with him when I turned 18.Fast forward 9 years. One day I had a very bad experience at the store, someone in line behind me was having a very loud conversation about how people "like me" 'dont belong in this town and that lynching needed to be brought back again to get rid of all the (bleeps) and the half breed (bleep) babies.' I didnt say a word but it definitely upset me, and it was even more upsetting because I had our two small children with me as well and they had to hear all of that. It broke my heart. Once I finally got home I sent my boyfriend a text about my unsettling experience at the store and he made a joke of it. I responded and told him that it really upset me. But he said that I might have misunderstood or taken it the wrong way. I tried explaining it the best I could over a text so I ended up calling him on his lunch break to better explain. It turned into an argument, and that I am just playing the racism card for attention and he didn't want to hear anymore of it. He never said anything like that before and I usually keep bad experiences to myself but since this was happening in front of our kids I felt the need to tell him. It has really bothered me but due to the way he reacted I dont want to bring it back up. But the way he reacted definitely raises some concerns for the future of my children, like how is he going to react when they come home upset about what some one has said about their skin color or hair or calling them the N* word? Id like to think it wouldnt happen but kids are mean and I hear my nieces talk about how one of their friends were made fun of until she moved.I always thought he and I were kind of on the same page, all these years about how we were going to parent and our views on things. It wasn't anything ever really came up.Idk why I typed all of that but I guess I just needed to vent. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nmNNck

No comments:

Post a Comment