
I feel really odd sharing this info, but I need some assistance/advice. My son is a relatively smart kid. He's 12 years old. When he applies himself he accomplishes things other kids his age don't bother with. He plays piano somewhat thanks to Yousician, practices kung fu, and getting decent grades in school. However, knowing how schools operate now, I'm concerned he's not being challenged enough. When I was his age I taught myself computer programming and advanced math. I knew I wanted to work in technology and focused my efforts to reach these goals. I convinced my parents to buy books and through online services found people who had answers to my questions. (Online resources weren't available like they are today) I don't consider my self a smart person. I have a shared custody situation and only have limited time with him. My efforts to challenge him with new materials are minimal because he starts crying or shuts down. He says he wants to do something in technology, but makes no real effort to learn. Even basic understanding of computer operation is lacking. When seeking material to cover I reference online websites for his grade level and quiz him on it, but he can't answer the most basic questions without me basically having to boil it down and essentially giving him the answer. I've tried teaching him and encouraging him to use online resources so at least he learns to research info, but even then he struggles. What can I do to challenge him or encourage him to do more? What can I do when he shuts down without just giving up on challenging him? I sometimes just want to stop and leave him be, but don't feel he's getting enough from his school. Good or bad, please offer up advice. Thank you. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nmW1RO
No comments:
Post a Comment