Sunday, 19 March 2017

My kid is the sweetest and it makes me feel so guilty sometimes


I have a son who's 20 months old. He has such a sweet disposition and it makes me feel so guilty sometimes.I work full time, and I'm currently in grad school for my Masters. This morning, I spent several hours studying for a test. I was out in the living room so that I would still be accessible to my son, but dad played interference and kept kiddo busy and engaged most of the morning. At one point, kiddo brought me a book to read, but I deferred to dad (later on, kiddo brought another book and we read that one together). All day, I've been distracted and not paying a ton of attention to kiddo. He would bring me a toy, and I'd talk to him about it, but I wouldn't play. It makes me feel really sad. As a family, we did go to the park, and we went to the store to buy kiddo new shoes so it's not like I completely avoided interacting with him. I was just busy and distracted because of studying for my test and trying to wind down from studying.I crochet and if you know anyone who crochets (or knits), then you're probably familiar with a "project bag." Basically, it's a bag where you stash the project you're currently working on along with all of the yarn for that project. It helps keep things tidy, and it makes getting projects out and putting them up much easier. I have a project bag for two projects that I'm working on. They are things for my son, incidentally. I haven't worked on them in ages, though, because of school stuff. I think the last time I worked on either was in January, actually.Anyway, just before bedtime tonight, kiddo hauls my project bag out to me. It's a bulky bag and not light so this was a significant undertaking for him. He even shut the door to the bedroom behind him while carrying this bag. It was such a sweet thing. I don't know why he thought to do it. I don't know if he saw the bag and just thought I needed it or what. But it's been a long time since I had this bag out and he remembered that it was important to me so he brought it to me. And it makes me feel so guilty. He, in his 20-month-old way, does this extremely sweet thing for me after I spent a big part of the day ignoring him. Yeah, it's for a defensible reason, but that doesn't make me feel any less like crap.I read him an extra book at bedtime. He loved it, but it didn't lessen the guilt. I have to study more tomorrow, and I'm already agonizing about it.I really love my kid, and I don't want him to think he has to do something sweet to win my favor, you know? I also really admire this disposition of his and want to encourage this sweetness in good, healthy ways.Thanks for letting me vent. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2mWQVcw

No comments:

Post a Comment