My husbands mother and stepfather were visiting from out of state a couple weeks ago. They are well aware that I am an atheist, my husband is agnostic but never has discussed it with this mother or stepfather, knowing they are very religious (his step father used to be a pastor). We were sitting down to dinner when out of nowhere my mother in law says to me "oh yeah, I have a bone to pick with you young lady" she said " While we had the girls in August we took them to grandma and grandpas (step fathers parents) house for dinner with the family. When grandpa said " let us bow our heads and pray" your daughters asked "what's that?".I cut in with "you know we are raising the girls religion free until they are old enough to learn and choose for themselves" (DD's are 5 and 3)She snapped back at me with "WELL, they NEED to know how to pray when they are around people who DO!"I just didn't respond and kept eating. The rest of the dinner was super awkward. I'm upset because she said all this with my children sitting there at the table with us and because I don't think she has any say in how we raise our girls.As the weeks have passed I can't stop thinking about it and I just keep getting more and more upset and mad. Am I the one who is wrong or is she? Should our girls know "how" to pray if they are at others homes that do? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2cG8444
No comments:
Post a Comment