I'm trying to chose my battles here. My MIL is an awesome, loving grandmother and this seems so minor but it's really starting to bother me. My 16 month old has little tantrums when she doesn't have her way. And everything I've ever read said to completely ignore temper tantrums. So when my daughter is home and gets upset over something I'll set her on the ground and let her roll and scream for a minute or two until she gets bored and wanders off to find something else to do. However when my MIL is over she will not let my daughter have her moment. MIL will roll on the ground and scream with her. I've told her multiple times that I ignore my daughter when she has tantrums. Every time my daughter is about to have a tantrum, I tell my MIL not to give her attention. She'll say "Oh I'm not" and then immediately proceed to acknowledge my daughter's behavior. So, assuming she misunderstood what I meant, the last tantrum I told my MIL to completely ignore her until she's done. MIL still talked to my daughter throughout the entire tantrum and eventually started singing to her until my daughter was laughing. Ugh..I'm pretty sure she just gave my daughter positive reinforcement for rolling and screaming...I've asked my husband to talk to her but I'm not sure if he will. He doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. And I know his mom means well. I just don't know how major of a deal this is. My MIL is over anywhere from 1-3 times a week. (She lives across the street from us.) I don't know if my MIL's actions are enough to really cause any damage. Or if it's really that big of a deal to ignore tantrums, it's just what I've always read as the correct thing to do. If I do need to sit down and talk to my MIL about this, I know it'll hurt her feelings. I'm trying to decide if I should let this go or if a sit down is necessary.Thanks. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bTqJdx
No comments:
Post a Comment