Thursday, 22 September 2016

Ended a relationship and both children still ask about the other


So my girlfriend and I had been dating about two and a half years. We moved in together pretty early in the relationship, which in hindsight was a mistake. She has a daughter (10 now) and has full custody of her. I have a son (8 now) and have him roughly every other weekend (sometimes I'd have him random days between my weekends). The two of them grew somewhat close during those two years. Now that the relationship is over, they've had limited contact with each other. I moved out of the house immediately and agreed to pay my share of the bills for the remainder of the lease to ease the transition as much I could -- immediately finding a new place would have been nearly impossible for her. We've been split for about three months now.My son asks about her daughter every so often, and from what I'm hearing from my ex, her daughter asks about my son pretty regularly. It's not a situation where we have much of a chance to run into each other with the kids, and I've intentionally made little (almost no) effort to allow them to hang out together. We did once a few weeks after the split, but it was really awkward for me and her daughter was crying when we all parted ways wondering why we weren't going to the same house. I didn't really want to in the first place (get them together to hang out), but my ex was kind of insistent about it so I did it in a neutral place (she was originally pestering me to come over to the house with my son for dinner). The question I have is am I doing the kids a disservice by avoiding contact between them?My thinking is yes, the situation is unfair to them; it's not their fault that they lose a friend. But on the other hand, it really just causes more confusion for them by seen the four of us together randomly but not living in the same house (remember that first interraction and her daughter crying as we left). My thinking has been just rip the bandaid off and the wounds will heal over time. The other factor in this whole situation is my ex still has rather significant feelings for me (I think they've faded somewhat in the past two months), but it also prevents her from healing/moving on with her life if we're all hanging out socially every so often.I'm not sure how best to proceed with any of this. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2d0eWJw

No comments:

Post a Comment