Saturday, 4 March 2017

Need some advice for a gifted athlete.


My daughter is 9. She is crazy athletic. I don't want this to be misinterpreted as bragging because this isn't really about that. But I will leave it at she is showing some amazing potential. Her mother and I were mediocre athletes so we don't really know what it's like to have the potential like she does.I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a balance between encouraging her to realize her potential versus being that parent who pushes their child to the point of being overzealous. I know what it takes to be a next level athlete and she can get there, but like most kids needs some prodding to practice and exercise.I'm feeling a little bit like if I push her, then I'm being overbearing. But if I don't push her, I'm doing her a disservice because she is capable of achieving amazing things. I would hate for her to miss out on an amazing future because I felt guilty making her push herself. But at the same time I really don't want to be THAT parent.I would love some advice from the group, but also if there are any former college athletes on this sub, I would love to hear about the mistakes your parents made or things you wish they had done differently in your development. Thanks so much. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2movjaF

No comments:

Post a Comment