Saturday, 24 September 2016

Is it bad communication or just exhaustion?


My wife and I are just 2 weeks in to parenting. My parents, who love and support my wife and I to no ends, sometimes insert themselves where they shouldn't. I address this as soon as it happens, though my wife feels I should be more direct. As a example, I've been away from work for 1-1/2 weeks now. During a quick overnight at the hospital, my father came to help out (groceries, doing dishes, etc). My wife, father, and I began talking about when I should go back to work, and the three of us weighed the pros and cons of going back this week vs waiting until the end of the week. As the sole income earner, we all thought it best I head back to the office sooner than later, and use the saved vacation days to take Fridays or Mondays off where needed.I thought all was well until last night my wife "unloaded" on me - about how she and I should have had this conversation alone, that she hasn't bonded with our baby, that there hasn't been any us time, etc. I listened - we're both exhausted and, she just gave birth, so neither of us are really in our right minds. However, I feel like we did have the going back to work conversation together - and while it wasn't just the two of us, she was encouraging me to go back.So now I feel horribly guilty, like I've put my job before my family's health, like my wife feels like I'm not listening to her, and there's no calling my boss saying "sorry, I'm actually not coming in".So - How can I talk to my wife about this? How can we better open the lines of communication? How do I go back to work on Monday without feeling like I thrown my wife to the wolves? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dpeQN3

No comments:

Post a Comment