My 4.5 year old started pre-k this year at our local public school. She goes half days, from 11:30 to 3:15. They go straight to the lunch room at 11:30, and I've been packing her lunch every day so she's eating basically the exact same things for lunch as she has been for the past 4 years. About a month ago, the teacher made up a snack chart, where each parent provides a small snack one day a month. Okay, not a big deal. Except that every day, my kid comes home telling me about how they ate cookies and cupcakes and muffins. I didn't expect this. I even feel a little bad that I sent cheese and apples. Today, she told me they had Oreos. The teacher has specified no candy, but are Oreos really any better?Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not that mom. I feed my kids sweets and junk food and have never freaked out about it. But this is an every day occurrence. And the scale at my kid's doctor's office is showing it. She had a checkup at the beginning of the school year and again this week when I took all my kids to get flu shots, and the doctor was concerned enough to ask about changes in her diet. It's a visible change as well, I've had to let out the elastic in all her pants.When given choices, she is not one to overeat, never has been, but this isn't a buffet-type situation in the classroom. They have all the kids sit down and eat the same snack together, portions are determined by whichever parent provides the snacks that day.What would you do? Am I making too big of a deal out of this? I don't want to be that mom who freaks out about her kid eating a little sugar, but I feel like this is way more than a little sugar. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2deN89K
No comments:
Post a Comment