
I’ve been dating a woman for 11 months. It’s been wonderful, I am in love with her, she’s everything I was looking for and then some.In all other areas of her life she is responsible and conscientious and diligent and fun loving.I’m a single father to a 15 year old son and 21 year old son. But she is a mother to a 6 and 10 year old.I had no problem with that. I love kids. However, we agreed we wouldn’t introduce each other to our kids until we were sure we were in this for the long haul.So now I’ve been getting to know her kids the past few months and I’ve watched her interact with her kids and to my utter shock and disappointment, she’s just... not a good parent. I don’t know how else to describe it.She isn’t abusive at all. But she is just... not good at this. I’ll include some examples below but to get to the crux of my question:My oldest has moved out of course and my 15 year old doesn’t really need to be parented the way she falls short (she’s great with my son actually, she’s definitely built for older, self sufficient kids).But it’s uncomfortable being around someone who is not parenting appropriately and my son has even commented to me that she seems like “scatter brained” when it comes to her kids.Is this grounds to break up with her?Examples of the behavior that lead me to this conclusion.She makes lots of empty threats e.g. “If you don’t leave right now we are never coming to the park again.”Her rules are inconsistent. e.g., I’ve seen both these scenarios play out. “You can watch 10 more minutes of that.” Then 2 minutes later “Alright you’re done.” And doesn’t understand why her kid is frustrated. Or “You can watch 10 more minutes of that” then forgets and lets them watch the rest of the night.I’ll sometimes come and she’ll be watching Law and Order SVU or a similar show with her kids in the room well within earshot.They’re both on a soccer team but they miss a lot of practices because mom doesn’t feel like driving them there.Her son has an “as needed” medication (not life threatening or anything, but needs it) and she never has it with her. She doesn’t even carry one pill with her. Whenever he needs it she has to drive home, and when I suggest she carry some on her, says it’s too much to remember.She corrects them in public and in front of their friends in ways that embarrass them but it goes right over her head. e.g., she’ll yell across the playground “Did I just hear you using dirty language? That’s it, no TV tonight.” In front of all her child’s friends.And finally, this is a small one but also isn’t, sometimes she forgets to feed them. They aren’t starving or anything but I’ll be there and it’ll be like 7:00pm and her 10 year old will be like “when are we going to eat” and it’ll be like the question is a surprise to her and she’ll say “Oh, I don’t know. Fix something.” And her kids will eat peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, despite the house being full of food that could be prepared (chicken in the fridge, pasta in the cabinet, etc. she’s gainfully employed and shops regularly.) via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NCDMmy
No comments:
Post a Comment