Monday, 4 November 2019

Is my kindergartener’s teacher too strict?


I had a few parents mention my 5yo son’s teacher seemed too strict on their kids last year. However, I had other parents say they loved her and she brought discipline to a chaotic class. I met her before school began and loved how she described her teaching approach. She did seem a bit domineering, but I’m also kind of quiet myself.Fast forward to today. My husband and I were picking both our kids up early. As we approached the room, we saw all the kids sitting in front of their cubbies while the teacher berated them about how messy the cubbies were. It was like watching a drill sergeant. It wasn’t even directed at my kid and it made me feel pretty uncomfortable.It’s hard for me to remember it all, but it went something like this: “Why are all your folders so messy? You need to straighten your folders. Nico, get your folder. That’s not your folder. That’s your journal. Now turn it. Not that way. Not that way!” It’s hard to capture the lack of warmth and the level of frustration in her voice.We talked to our kid afterward and he says sometimes she almost makes him cry. He and his friends used to love playing “jump on the snowflakes” but they don’t play much anymore because their teacher said they were being disrespectful.Now, I totally get she has to keep order in the classroom. Plus, my son has gone from being able to sound out simple words to reading full books in less than two months so she’s definitely getting results. However, I felt bad watching those kids sit silently in a line looking kind of miserable while being spoken to in a way that would not be acceptable in my workplace.I asked my son if he felt safe and he said “yes” in a confused way like why wouldn’t he? He said he doesn’t like his teacher, but that what we witnessed doesn’t happen everyday. Though it does sound like that’s kind of her style in general. She also saw us waiting so it’s not like we were spying or she changed her style after we showed up.I’m not sure there’s anything for me to do. We have already talked to her about our son sometimes being afraid to ask her questions and her response was basically that he should learn not to be scared. Frankly, she kid of scares me as an adult. I sometimes wonder if I’m too sensitive, though. I know she’s definitely on the strict side, but do I have anything to be concerned about? Parenting is hard. Thanks for listening! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/36ziiQ2

No comments:

Post a Comment