Monday, 4 November 2019

Desperate to find help/counseling for trauma exposed 2 year old


CONTENT WARNINGEight months ago, my husband took his life just before our daughter's 2nd birthday. She was very much a daddy's girl, crying for him rather than me in the middle of the night or when she got hurt.We were in the house when he got out the gun and based on his past comments I thought he would kill us too. We hid from him while he called my daughter's name over and over and she screamed back for him. When the police arrived, we were able to leave but he did it soon after we left.I have looked into counseling for her but it seems no one will take a child under 3 who can barely talk. In the months since his death, she has:Repeatedly reenacted hiding in the bathroomLooks for him in the bathroom, closet and other hiding placesHer first full sentence was "Where did my daddy go?" She constantly cries for him, asks for him, etc. She screams and throws tantrums when I tell her he is not here, gone, dead, in heaven, whatever and says things like, I NEED my daddy HERE! NOW!The other day I told her something was dangerous and to stop because she could get hurt and die. She immediately got very excited and happy and started saying, "I die like daddy?" and tried to repeat the dangerous action. Obviously she is too young to fully understand the implications, but this is still really disturbing to me.The only advice 2 child counselors have given me is to "not worry because she is young and eventually she will forget him." It's been 8 months and it's not getting better. Meanwhile it makes my own grief very difficult to deal with (yes I see a counselor, no she doesn't deal with kids or know what to do.)Help. I'm grieving on my own but watching her hurt makes me want to end it all. I don't know what to do or where to turn for help. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2WI4Bdb

No comments:

Post a Comment