Monday, 4 November 2019

My six year old’s reading level improved four levels since August and I feel like way less of a terrible mother.


First grade is.. a change. I put my son in a charter school because I knew he needed a challenge and I knew he didn’t grow enough in Kindergarten. And as a family we needed more structure. Even knowing his school last year didn’t really push him/us, I was still really devastated when he came back with a below grade level reading score in August. I have heard my kid read and do a pretty bang up job. I thought maybe he bailed on the assessment or something. I spoke with his teacher and she explained to me that the assessment is about much more than just being able to read any given word. I felt like I had failed my kid. I should have stepped up sooner when I realized how relaxed his kindergarten really was. I’m not a teacher by any means. I have zero background in childhood education. I had a kid six years ago. That’s all the qualification I have, but I felt so guilty for letting him miss this bench mark. WELL ITS NOVEMBER and we have read every Pete the Cat book ever written, and ever Mercer Meyer book I owned as a child, and we’ve spent countless hours in the library and we’ve argued about why we had to do this and we’ve filled out the book log and we’ve read the menu at Waffle House when all he wanted to do was eat his breakfast. And IT WAS WORTH IT. He is a month ahead of where he should be and we are NOT STOPPING. I am not a terrible mother and I did not pass every awful gene I had on to my child. 1st grade will not be the death of me. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/32hXdGH

No comments:

Post a Comment