
I have three kids teenaged or older. The eldest is in college, studying philosophy. The youngest is still in school and interested in art and architecture. The middle kid- well, he's always hated school, and just about the only thing he enjoys is gaming. He does have some interests- he's bragged about being the only kid in his class who knew how to use Adobe Premiere. and he has a wonderful sense of humor.He is a recent high school graduate and requested a gap year. I think it's important for me to indicate, I do not think college is required in any way for happiness. And I have never pressed him to go. I've tried to let his interests develop naturally. But now he is at a crossroads and appears to be frozen, unsure of what to do. he doesn't even want to get a first job just to get out there and make a little money for himself (I get that- who wants a crappy job?- but a little cash in his pocket and a taste of the working life might be helpful.)He hasn't expressed an interest in doing something related to gaming as a career. I work in IT and do some web development and programming. I've suggested his interest in video and his talent for humor could both be assets in the gaming development industry. He isn't interested. He's not interested in gaming professionally. I think he uses gaming as a way to calm and focus his mind and experience some catharsis, no wonder he doesn't want to make a career out of it- He hates the hoop-jumping of school and probably sees working in the gaming field the same way.The only indication of an interest I've heard from him is woodworking. he'd like to work with his hands. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But it seems any help I suggest is rejected.Even though I've tried to not push, I apparently still need to learn how to be supportive without pushing. Now the poor guy is having panic attacks. he isn't saying much about the cause- I've had them in the past, and I understand causes are usually not clear at the time, which is what makes them scary.Anyway, any parents of teens who have been through this with their kid, any insight would be most appreciated. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NqKQUM
No comments:
Post a Comment