Thursday, 22 August 2019

How to approach my child (5) saying hes going to kill himself?


My son recently over the last 2 weeks has been saying hes going to kill himself."Can I have some milk, if I cant I'll kill myself""I like Brandon as my friend, if hes not my friend I'll kill myself""This toy is my favorite, if it wasn't, I'd kill myself"There has never been anything at home that would cause this and clearly he doesn't actually know what it means or that hes actually going to do it. I'm guessing he somehow picked it up from daycare. He doesn't understand the concept of killing himself. I've told him that him saying that makes me sad and it's not a nice thing to say, but he sees it as a form of expression for how serious hes being. I feel like yelling at him about it would be the wrong approach as I want to encourage him to express his feelings with me.Has anyone dealt with this and what does work to make it stop? Or how would you guys handle this? It's becoming more frequent, I dont know where it's coming from and I dont know how to stop it. Any help is appreciated! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2KVmOyg

No comments:

Post a Comment