Wednesday, 23 January 2019

I'm so grateful for my daughter's teacher being there for her emotionally today


Yesterday my daughter was playing Little Big Planet while I made dinner. She does it all the time. Last night she somehow got connected to the internet, and some creep came into her host room, bullied her avatar into suggestive poses. She's 8 and cried as if she had been assaulted in real life. I'll spare the details on the exhausting parental control changes and conversations about online safety and the new rules we put in place.Long story short she's been upset since.Today her teacher called me to let me know my daughter was distraught today and mentioned something that happened in the game and wanted to make sure I was aware. My normally distant daughter kept asking for hugs and wanted to hold hands with the teacher all day.The teacher gave her extra breaks and extra attention and called me later, when we both were home and settling in for the day.We talked for a good half hour about the challenges of parenting in an online generation, about parenting in general. About the school system and it's flaws. About how important social lessons are.I am just so so grateful for that call, that care. For her investing in my daughter as a person and not just a student to pass along to the next grade.To know she and I face the same struggles is incredible. She is patient with my daughter when not many others would be.To all the teachers who put in that extra time at home to help your students... Thank you via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2RHdGUl

No comments:

Post a Comment