Wednesday, 23 November 2016

New dad here. Need some tips/advice on my newborn situation.


My daughter was a c-section, 3 weeks early. She's 3 weeks old today :).She was born with mild hip dysplasia, so she's in a Pavlik Harness, which breaks my heart. She absolutely hates being in it from what I can tell, and I hate having her in it, but we gotta do it.Aside from that, she's been a handful to say the least. The first week or so wasn't so bad, but ever since, she's been extremely fussy. We took her to Urgent Care because she was showing signs of distress and hadn't had a BM in over a day, but everything turned out fine. She actually pooped all over the place at the urgent care (sorry, doc!).The last week or so, she's began cluster feeding. From like 10AM-5PM, she's great. She'll eat every 2-3 hours, and she'll sleep for an hour or two at a time. However, come 5PM, she gets very fussy and needs to eat frequently. From 5-8 or so, she's eating every 30 minutes. After about 10PM, she's constantly wanting the boob.The last two nights I've woken my wife up every 20 minutes or so to breastfeed. My wife is taking it like a champ, but she's exhausted, and she often falls asleep after a minute or so when she's feeding. The baby does the same. When we pull her off and put her down to sleep, she wakes up after 10 minutes and wants more.Is there anything I can do? I'm reading about cluster feeding and it says that you should try to stay away from supplementing with formula and bottles, as this is the time that the mother establishes her milk supply.We had a weigh-in today with the doc and she's gaining weight slowly. She was born at 6.6, then dropped to 5.13, now is up to 6.14. Doc says she's healthy and everything is fine.I just want to make this time easier for the both of us. If anyone has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.Oh, and lastly, my employer has been great about letting me be part time for the last 3 weeks. However, they're asking when I'm going to come back full time. I feel like because of how mellow the daytime is, I can go back full time starting next week, but I want to make sure my wife is OK with that first. She usually likes to get some sleep in between 10-3 because she's up all night. So if any of you moms out there were in a similar situation as my wife, I'd love to hear your input. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2fSIZYm

No comments:

Post a Comment