Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Jarring experience at the park with a disabled man


I brought my toddler to the park and settled in on the bench. He climbed onto the play structure with what appeared to be a middle schooler (from a distance). It turned out to be a 27 year old man with Down Syndrome, non-verbal, rambunctious and running between the teeter totter and slides with pretty much the same enthusiasm and motor control as my son.And I was torn, because I want this person to have full use of the park and be treated just the same as if any other kid were engaging mine in play. But I was genuinely concerned about the size difference and possibility of serious (accidental) harm.I walked over to what turned out to be the respite care worker, introduced myself, made small talk. He told me he almost never brings his client to the park because "it makes the other parents upset" so they get fast food and hit up boomers.That made my heart sink. But I get it, these play structures are about 5' off the ground with gaps in the railing to jump off. A 2.5 year old in an adult body could easily do some harm.I've been thinking about it constantly. Where do the adult disabled go, then? He was so stoked on this gyrating horse toy he could barely fit on, the slides, just like any other kid running around and having fun. As it should be. I guess I just feel conflicted and sad. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2efhiEj

No comments:

Post a Comment