Thursday, 3 November 2016

I don't know what advice to give my children on "bullies."


I have an 8yo in third grade, and a 4yo in pre-k. There are a couple of kids at school that my daughter says are bullying them.The first kid is a boy in her class. He sits at the same table as her. She says that he lies about her to other kids and tries to get her in trouble. He tells the teacher that she does things that never happened. Or tells her friends that she failed tests even though she passed them. Weird stuff like that.Now, my daughter is no saint, she has been diagnosed with adhd and odd, she takes medication and does behavior therapy. She can be a lot to handle and manipulative. I trust her when she says this kid is nasty to her, but I don't believe that she is completely innocent either because she has told me that she is mean to him too.I just really don't know how to approach the situation. The only thing the teacher seems to care about is getting to her retirement date asap. I tell my daughter, don't be mean to him. Don't call him names or argue with him. If he lies about you, tell the correct story honestly and with confidence. Otherwise, ignore him.If she really wants to say something, I told her that she can tell him that he is jealous. It seems like most of the lies stem from him failing tests and her doing well.The other kid that is causing problems is a 4yo who rides the bus with my kids. He calls my kids poop, fart, butt, and other names like that. I've mostly just asked her to try and sit away from him as much as possible. But yesterday, while they were in line for the bus, this kid scratched my daughter's hand with his fingernails. He did it hard enough to break the skin and draw blood.She seemed fine when she got home, but she said that she was crying and bleeding at school. She briefly saw the nurse before getting on the bus and the boy was taken to the office. He got in trouble. She said, she didn't know what they did in the office but the boy was crying when he got on the bus. So I'm hoping there was a consequence.The school seemed to handle it well. I'm not sure if I should call and ask about the incident. I'm not sure how to advise my daughter to handle these two kids either.Like I said, my daughter has adhd and odd. She can be a very "in your face" and hyper kid. She struggles to make friends. But in the past, she has always been oblivious to mean kids around her. She has only started noticing that she struggles to make friends this year. She does have a couple really great friends at school and she is happy with that. But now that she is noticing other kids who are kind of mean or don't like her, I really don't know how to deal with it.Ignore them? Tattle? Be mean back?I just hate to see her struggle with this. I am sure there will be many more problems to come with this kind of thing. Any advice would be helpful.My current advice to her is to be confident, keep her head up, ignore ugly comments, and stay close to her friends.I just want to be able to teach her how to be a confident woman who knows how to set boundries and love herself. Help! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2fHy7x3

No comments:

Post a Comment