Hey friends!Disclaimer: not a parent. I'm an Aunt and this is about my nephew. He is 5.I'll try to give context without bogging down in details. The crux of my post is this: my nephew along with his parents, siblings, some cousins, etc were all out at an event tonight. My sister and husband stayed, and my adult cousin took the kids home for bed. My sister lives next door to me, so I saw my cousin pull up with the kids and I decided to pop over to say hello and goodnight.I walked by the bathroom and my 5 year old nephew was standing there with underpants full of poop; trying to clean himself up. I went in and was very kind and asked what happened and he said "there was no bathroom there." Obviously, not true. It was an outdoor event and he just didn't know where the bathroom was. He's a shy guy so I guess he didn't feel comfortable speaking up. I do not know how long the poop was in his pants. He was really upset and embarrassed. I told him it's ok and he's not in trouble and there are bathrooms everywhere even if he can't see them and to always tell someone if he needs to go. I got him cleaned up and put him in his jammies and hugged him. He went to bed.I am now at my own home, in bed sobbing. I am in tears. I just keep picturing my sweet little boy so overwhelmed and so frantic and saw no help in sight and he just shit his pants. Like my god the desperation he must have felt in that moment. My empathy for him has ruined me. I can not collect myself. I am so upset for him.So the point of this post:Do I tell his parents? Or do I let it go? I think they need to know but I don't want to make him feel worse. But he did just start kindergarten and there's going to new experiences and I don't want this to happen again.Why am I so upset?!?!?!?!?!?!Is this 'normal' for 5?Shout out to you guys. For real. I have so much respect for parents already. But how you guys don't hang yourselves when your kids are upset is beyond me. Like I don't care when they cry over a missing toy or the wrong color m&m. But his little face just literally broken my heart. How the fuck do you guys deal?!? You're superheroes. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2cnaRmd
No comments:
Post a Comment