Sunday, 3 July 2016

Anybody have a kiddo that had really extreme jaundice?


Our second was just born on Thursday. He went full term but unfortunately got dealt the jaundice card, which I knew was fairly common, but his manifested at 12hrs old with a starting number of 15 mg/dL bilirubin which is apparently extremely high for that age. He's been hovering between 15-19 for the last three days despite everything they've thrown at him: an IV, the highest intensity phototherapy available, plus IVIG treatment, bottle supplements and eating well.Apparently now they are saying he'll need a full blood transfusion since he's not going down even though all that's happening. The nurses say they haven't seen that needed in a long, long time. I guess I'm just hoping for any stories where all this comes out with a happy ending. Or any ending I guess. I know there's a risk of brain damage with all this and hopefully we're nowhere close to that...but I guess I'd rather hear the real scenarios that have happened.If anybody is curious, this happened due to Rh=/+ blood incompatibility between mom and baby (this is our second). Mom got the RhoGAM shots (three times actually - once after baby 1, then twice during pregnancy -- once at 'normal' schedule and once after a small fall) but somehow they failed to work I guess, and he ended up Coombs positive. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/29fkIaV

No comments:

Post a Comment