
On a throwaway. I’ve been a father for about 15 months. I’m in a happy marriage and entered into parenthood without any illusions about the realities of it. I knew peers who were parents and did my fair bit of reading online about parenting. My son is a fine boy, I’m lucky to say. No problems. In fact he’s been unusually easy so far. In general, I like children a lot.I am back at home with my wife and son for Christmas and I’m having a miserable time. The realities of being a parent, even to a good boy like my son, are just too much for me. Even with the extra help I’m getting from my own parents these days the truth has hit me. I just want to celebrate Christmas but I can’t because between him screaming, making a mess when eating, flailing about in my arms when tired or just generally being up to mischief my patience is worn thin.Far too late I now realise that I’m not the sort that should be a father. Which is frustrating because I wanted and still want my son to have a good father. I swing from indifference to tranquil rage when he is awake for no other reason than he is a typical child and acts like they do. I’ve not told my wife this in so many words but she knows I’m trying my best but am struggling.What makes it worse is the dilemma currently swirling inside me which is that we want my son to have a sibling but I REALLY don’t want to go through all this a second time. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2tOxKsR
No comments:
Post a Comment