Friday, 23 August 2019

This climate stuff is a little concerning.


I posted this in the r/offmychest subreddit, as well, but my anxiety about it absolutely stems from being a parent. I'm not concerned about myself, I'm concerned about my kids.Denier types need not apply.I am absolutely from the school of 'Humans will figure it out'. I figure if there was ever a species to get it together and a least find a way to sustain and survive through something like extreme climate change, it's us human types.I am far from a bleeding-heart, hippie when it comes to the environment in general. I do have a life-long love of science, space, wildlife, etc. I do what I can to save energy, recycle, I bought a hybrid (un-intentionally, but I was pleased when I noticed that it was a hybrid). Every Christmas, I take a certain amount of money and donate it. The last few years have been to vetted conservation groups. In short, I do what I can, but I'm not flying down to the Amazon to haplessly throw buckets of water on the fire or stand in front of logging trucks. I'm not dying on that hill, because...well... I think we're all already on the hill that we're going to die on.In truth, this week, with the Amazon rainforest stuff- I'm getting pretty freaked out. I'm still getting up and going to work, doing what I need to do for the right now, because part of us figuring it out is continuing to live as normally as we possibly can. I don't hide under the covers because I can't bear the reality of life. However, when I get home from work, there is a 2 year old girl that runs to me like she hasn't seen me in a month. In January, there will be a baby boy that I get to hold. I fear for the world that will be left to them. If there is one left at all.In my early morning browsing, I stumbled across an article about a report that posits the decline of human civilization beginning in (at least) 2050. There are some scientists that believe it, some that don't. The concerning part isn't that they're arguing about the basis of the report, it's that they're arguing about the numbers of people that it will impact.It really is unfortunate. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/33VEvXq

No comments:

Post a Comment