Friday, 2 August 2019

Not Willing to Have Another Child; Don't Know What to Do


I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to discuss this but I really need some help and outside perspective. My husband and I have an absolutely perfect almost two year old. She is the light of my life. Before she came along we always talked about having 2 kids. However, although my daughter is perfect in every way and I have enjoyed every second of this thing called parenting it has been REALLY hard on our marriage and has caused a lot of problems between me and my husband. If you're really interested in the details you can browse my post history.Anyway, I'm barely keeping my head above water with just my daughter and can't even fathom adding another child to the mix. While my husband has gotten a little bit better with helping as she has gotten older, it's just still not what I expected/needed out of him as a father and partner. Despite numerous conversations between the two of us about it, me trying to adjust my expectations and seeking counseling, it's just still not where I need it to be. I'm continuing to do 80-90% of the work unless I'm literally not able to (like out of town for a work conference). We both work full time but I'm solely responsible for daycare drop offs/pick ups, feeding, weekend care, any (rare) but occasional nighttime wakings, etc. If I ask for help with any of these things it usually turns into an argument/I end up doing it anyway. It's been really hard and I'm really struggling to be a good parent but also keep our marriage from totally falling apart because of it.Despite all this, my husband constantly brings up wanting another child (especially a boy). I have been pretty vocal about that not being something I'm interested in. I am barely keeping my head above water right now and can't be a good parent to our daughter, keep my marriage and career alive if we have another child. I personally am fine with our daughter being an only child at this point. This seems to really upset my husband but I'm not sure what to do. I have expressed my reasoning why and it either turns into an argument (about me being selfish for only having one) or him saying it "will be different" next time because he now knows what to expect.I guess my questions is, is this normal? Is this something I'm just going to get over as our daughter gets older? Obviously these years are tough, I get that. But at this point in time I would never even consider adding another child to the mix/signing myself up for this again. It's been really hard on our marriage/my mental health in general. I just don't have the support I need to want/to be capable of having another child. Any advice would be much appreciated.TL;DR: Husband wants at least one more child, I can't fathom ever having another based on how our parenting relationship/marriage has been since the first. Need advice. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/31dFXCm

No comments:

Post a Comment