Friday, 23 August 2019

My daughter hurt her friend by saying she doesn’t want to play with her disabled brother


My daughter (6) went to the neighbour’s house to play with her 8 year old friend. They usually play together on the street or in our yard, but this time our neighbours asked her to come over and play at their house. The little girl has a brother (7) who is severely autistic, and doesn’t really speak. My daughter has seen him passing by on the street but has never really interacted with him before.The moment she entered her friend’s house the little brother got super excited and started jumping and screaming, not agressively, he was just happy his parents said (and I have non reason to doubt them). However, my daughter was caught off guard and got extremely scared. She ran for the door and told her friend she didn’t want to stay because her brother is (as she said it) ‘abnormal’. She ran home and refuses to go back. She told me what happened and said her friend was crying.I feel bad for my daughter (she could barely talk when she got home), but also for her friend who must have been really upset. Do i make her apologise? I have talked to the neighbours, the’re not mad, they get she’s young and got scared, but I want her to realise she hurt her friend’s feelings... via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2P8nbuJ

No comments:

Post a Comment