
So she walks around speaking gibberish that sounds an awful lot like someone making fun of a non-English speaker. There is zero malice in it, of course, and when I ask she says she’s speaking Spanish and when I ask what the words mean she says “I doesn’t know most of the words but I’m trying really hard.” She does know a few songs in Spanish, some of her teachers speak Spanish and a few of her friends speak other languages, and we have some books in both English and Spanish.She has experienced people being not-so-kind about other kinds of differences, so we’ve talked about how some people aren’t always kind about our friends who speak different languages or sound different when they speak English. I explained a little about people imitating words/languages unkindly and she cried and said she’s not making fun of anyone, she’s trying to be kind, she just wants to speak Spanish.My question is- what, if anything, do I do now, beyond encouraging her to learn real Spanish? Just let this phase run its course? Stop her every time she starts? Something in between? I don’t want her to offend anyone, and I also don’t want her to be hurt if she does- she’s already sensitive and shy. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Zi1wnL
No comments:
Post a Comment