Saturday, 24 August 2019

I had to live by my own words of advice.


My DD asked if she could have four friends up to our cabin for the weekend. DD has celiac among other life changing auto immunes and met all of these friends at camp this summer. Without hesitating, I said yes. It is so wonderful for kids with life defining illnesses to have friends that experience the same thing.But one friend was different. Not only does he have celiac but he has type 1 diabetes. NBD, I thought. And then his mom called. Big. Big. Deal. My heart raced when she described the ‘issues’ we could face this weekend. Stomach sank. Then, I put on my big girl undies, took a deep breath and put on my adult face.Now I have watched my DD be excluded from too many fun things because of her celiacs. There was NO WAY in hell I was going to do that to another kid. So I started reading. And reading. And reading.He arrived yesterday. We had a quick “I’m not ur mom but I am for this weekend” conversation. DH and I crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.It has been wonderful. He is one of the nicest, most polite 16 year old boys I have ever met. I will never understand why people choose to exclude kids for reasons that are out of there control. They do. But I am not one of them. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/32bFhhp

No comments:

Post a Comment