
Throwaway account, obviously. I'll try to make this short. My 12 year old daughter (I'm her father) loves Minecraft and has been playing on the game servers through her hand me down iPhone. She made a "friend" on there who would play with her in creating worlds and other assorted Minecraft games. The would chat in game, mostly innocuous stuff about whatever challenge they were attempting. Fast forward a month and a half.Unbeknownst to me, the "friend" asked her if he could give her his phone number. Please keep in mind that when I say everything she did wrong in this situation that she had been told repeatedly never to take these actions and also that I discovered most of this information within the past two days. So, she began a text message relationship with him; that was about two weeks ago. He spent quite a bit of time flattering her with attention as well as asking for details about her in a roundabout way. Over the next two weeks she told him her real name, her location, and her age. The "friend" said he was 14 years old so I guess she felt safe.At some point the "friend" said that they should pretend to be boyfriend and girlfriend. My daughter agreed to this. Either yesterday or the day before he asked her if he could call her on the phone. She agreed. My daughter hid all of this from me but she couldn't hide talking with someone that she knew she wasn't supposed to be talking to. I confiscated her phone, found the messages, and confronted her the next day. I don't believe anything more than what I described happened. I don't believe any pictures were shared and I hope that their live discussions did not get graphic.I would like to find out what I can do through the legal or law enforcement system to prevent this from happening to someone else... perhaps someone here has had a similar experience. The "friend" gave his real name and location and I was able to find information about him through a simple Google search. He is a 42 year old career criminal living in South Carolina. My family and I live in California.Any advice would be appreciated. I'm willing to call and make a report to any authority that will listen. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Tp7uNG
No comments:
Post a Comment