
Hi r/parenting, thanks for reading!I am in the midst of a court case: my mentally-ill parent is seeking access to my ten-year-old special needs kid. The outcome is not yet final, but is likely to be that the grandparent is granted "access visits". And yes, of course I am asking that any visits be supervised, although I prefer they just not happen at all!My lawyer has asked me to come up with a list of rules to be followed during these visits. I've made a draft based on some stuff I've found online and also some specific behaviours I've observed in my parent and my kid... but I feel completely at a loss to imagine in advance the million potential weird behaviours that could take place. I don't know how to come up with comprehensive rules for a person who quite honestly shouldn't be allowed around children ever. :-(This is my rough draft... would love to hear your advice/ suggestions/ thoughts about how I can best protect my babe!Must have current standard first aid certificateNo meeting with additional people without my prior consentNo asking child to keep secretsNo judgemental talk towards child or anyone else (including no negative talk towards me or child's other parent)Respect child's need for reduced stimulation when she asks or shows signs of needing a break ('sleepy', trying to lie her head down, crying, etc)Respect child's boundaries (if she says "no" you must STOP)No roughhousing, aggressive play, inappropriate touching, or physically restraining childNo engaging in or encouraging any legal/ social rule breaking (including trespassing)No instructions, advice or discussions about health related topics. No offering or administering any medicine or product without prior permissionAct and encourage child to act in accordance with my values.I'd be happy to share more details if it will help- just ask! via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2RKRSHz
No comments:
Post a Comment