Thursday, 24 January 2019

Third hand smoke


We were lucky enough to skirt around taking our daughter to any kind of daycare since a family member has been able to watch her since she was a baby (now toddler) a few days a week, which is fantastic. But the downside is that this family member smokes.I don't know a ton about Third Hand Smoke, mostly because there's relatively little info on the subject so far. But essentially it boils down to...Thirdhand smoke is residual nicotine and other chemicals left on indoor surfaces by tobacco smoke. People are exposed to these chemicals by touching contaminated surfaces or breathing in the off-gassing from these surfaces. This residue is thought to react with common indoor pollutants to create a toxic mix including cancer causing compounds, posing a potential health hazard to nonsmokers — especially children.https://mayocl.in/2UdlhqE could shell out major money and try to get our kid into a daycare center but I guess there's no guarantee their employees smoke or not on their own time as well. Our family member takes precautions by smoking outside, wearing a smoking jacket that gets removed after, washing up, etc. but obviously that's not going to completely remove third hand smoke from the equation as you can ALWAYS smell at least a hint of smoke on someone who's been smoking and even being able to smell it means third hand smoke is present to some degree.So I guess I'm not sure how much I should stress over this. It certainly makes sense to me that third hand smoke would be a danger. But at the same time is it worse than all of the other shit my kid is probably exposed to? Charcoal smoke? Coal tar driveways and parking lots? Allergens from outside? The small quarter sized spot of black mold on the basement ceiling tile I've been too lazy to replace that could be shooting tiny fucking spores all over me when I'm down there?Does it seem like a hazard we should be trying to avoid at all cost by putting the kid in a daycare that specifically doesn't hire smokers? Should we just stick to the script we have going now and just try to be even more diligent with cleaning the house? I'm not sure how irrational I'm being with this but I have to admit it's kind of stressing me out. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2S2kZWa

No comments:

Post a Comment