
I (24F) have custody of my (16M) and he has been a troubled kid since I took custody of him just 2 weeks after turning 22.My oldest sister who is now 37 years old has custody of none of her 4 children and was not around for them often as they were growing up. She has a SEVERE drug and substance abuse problem. Her drug of addiction is heroine. All of her children have bounced around from different family members homes and currently all 4 of her children live apart. I came upon gaining custody of my nephew through most curious circumstances. My mother received a very out of the blue Facebook message from my oldest sisters, ex- fiancé's brother. He told my mother that the nephew I currently have custody of stole a large sum of money from his mother who did have custody of him and that after having them in their custody for 9 years they did not want him or his older brother living with them anymore. And, that my mom had 3 days to decide if we wanted them or not or she was giving them to the state to deal with them. My mother has been in declining health since I was a child with a slew of medical problems. Too many to count and even more medications for all of them. It has been a long time since they had seen my mom and had no idea that since then she had brain surgery, 3 strokes, hand and shoulder surgery. The works. The point I'm making is my mom hadn't been able to be a mother to me since I was 13 years old. I was her mother and also when my mom was healthier and even when she wasn't she was physically and mentally abusive. And, my other sister who also lived in the house with me had her first child who was very young at the time. But, how do I let my nephews go to foster care? Possibly to be never seen by my family again. I remember bickering with my sister about it, she stated it may not be good for me. I was 6 months sober from my own addiction and I had struggled with mental health my whole life, medications, psychiatrists, depression, PTSD and anxiety so severe I attempted suicide and couldn't get out of bed some days. And, although that wasn't who I was anymore that could easily become a reality again and my sister had her concerns for me.I disregarded her warnings and I messaged them back and stated that I would take them. The arrangements were made and in just a few days I was on my way with my sister to pick "the boys" up. When we arrive at a steakhouse which was half way between our town and the town my nephew lived in I see only one of my nephews standing in the parking lot and Roseanne (his current guardian) The handout was uneventful except for me crying when I had seen my nephew for the first time since he was 5 years old when my mom had lost custody to my oldest sister and then she lost custody of her children a short time later they were placed somewhere else. The oldest nephew decided to stay with my sisters ex- fiancé so I only had the one nephew come to stay with me. Life was good at first with him although I had no idea what I was doing. I suddenly was responsible for a teenager that seemed like a dream at first. I only worked at McDonald's when I first gained custody of him. But, I worked hard and saved and tried to replace everything that his old guardian did not let him bring along with him. Like an Xbox 360 and eventually a PS4, clothes and shoes and everything. I tried. Even when I had to go without. I was okay with that. Having him with me was my choice not his. If he were to have it his way..he would still be living with his mother regardless of everything she had done. He made friends quickly in school. But, the trouble started soon after. He was jumped in school by a group of 4 boys within the first 2 months of living with me. And, he told me he was unsure why. I raised all hell in the school and come to find out..he was jumped because he himself had left bruises of 2 girls and the leader of the kids was one of the girls' older brother. He would verbally attack my sister and her son and isolate himself to his room. But, him and I still maintained a good relationship. Then, I started receiving calls/messages from different parents stating that my nephew was up to some very distasteful forms of bullying. The school began getting involved and one night I was followed to work with a parent who pulled up to the drive thru and asked me who I was and if I was my nephews aunt like she had thought. I confirmed my identity and she asked me to sit in her car with her and talk and I kinda just told my manager what I was doing. I didn't ask. But, my manager didn't mind. So, apparently my nephew and this woman's daughter were boyfriend/girlfriend at some time and their relationship had gone sour. They were 14 years old so it wasn't that strange to me that they were upset at each other. Until she showed me the text messages that my nephew had sent to her daughter. Pure harassment. The things I read were disgusting. Detailing what an awful person she was, how ugly she was and so much more. But, the piece de resistance was multiple texts telling her no one would care if she was dead, no one would miss her, that she should kill herself and how to do it.I confronted my nephew when I got home and broke down in tears because I had been bullied in highschool and in passing I've brought up that behavior like that would never be tolerated. He stated that it was the daughter's fault and now 3 years later that has become a pattern of excuses. At the time I thought it was a teenager acting like a tennager then I realize that his behaviors are a little more sociopathic then the average child. 2 more incidences involved a girl that he had sex with being harassed by him again. He called her a "beached whale" and other awful things during the school day and when he was sent to the principle, confronted about it and told to stop he continued right after he had left the main office, right outside the doors. He was sent immediately back to the office and received OSS. Another girl he had been receiving nude pictures from..he was going to her house and once I realized he was when her parents were not present he was no longer allowed there. His phone had been taken away because of the incident with the girl prior that I had mentioned. I kept it stored away in my sisters bedroom because he never goes in there and my sister looked through it and presented me with the nude photos of at least 5+ girls. I confronted him about it. Told him it was child pornograhy and that I was going to call the police if it didn't stop. He discussed this with one of the girls and one of those girls was a teachers daughter. The teacher decided it may be in their best interest to transfer the girl into a new school district away from all of this. My nephew went to school and threatened suicide if the girl was transferred. He was released from the hospital the same day and that caused me to put him into therapy immediately. He had to see a psychiatrist every 2 weeks and saw the school counselor. After a few sessions with the therapist, the therapist had a private sit down with just her and I in her office and stated that she saw certain sociopathic qualities in my nephew and that I should be concerned. She stated she would continue to see him but that I should enroll him in PINS (Person In Need of Supervision) And, that I didn't she would submit paperwork to have him taken out of my custody and into a Group Home or Foster home. I enrolled him in PINS immediately. Speaking with his PINS officer he would also see her once every 2 weeks and we were given an outline on rules that he must follow. No drugs, no bullying, no disrespect, etc. He would get angry and stab and punch his wall and slash his mattress with a knife, stabbed the bathroom wall. I was scared for my life some of the times and would booby trap my door at night so I could hear him coming in. I decided to move away the beginning of this school year. My sister found her own apartment and my nephew, myself and my boyfriend found one in a different school district. He had been discharged from therapy a bit before we moved because the therapist and psychiatrist said they saw massive improvement in him and I thought I did too. His PINS officer was ready to discharge him off of PINS as well as long as he stood on it for the first quarter of school and maintained his behavior and grades.Starting out at this school was okay for the first month or so. He started habitually using different kinds of drugs which had never been a problem prior to this. And, his friends and himself took a bunch of benadryl one day trying to trip and I received a call from the school and poison control that my nephew had taken upwards to 20 benadryl pills and that his life was in danger from the massive amount of medication that he had taken. I had to call his PINS officer and beg him for an explanation. He also has been smoking weed and although weed is not an addictive drug it was outlined in his PINS papers that he must abstain from using any and all substances. I received a call at work 2 months ago from my boyfriend who had come home to find out room ransacked and property of ours missing..I had to leave work early and confront him about it and he apologized for it. Yesterday I was cleaning my living room with my sister who was visiting and 40+ Xbox games that belonged to my boyfriend are missing and I confronted him about it and he states he has absolutely no idea where they are. I know in my heart of hearts that he stole them and although they're not in his room I know he stole them and probably gave them away or sold them. He is now in severe trouble with PINS and was told at his last appointment that he is one more screw up from appearing in front of a judge.I tried to sit with him last night and have a heart to heart with him about how much I cared about him and that I've been trying everything for him and that since it's not working to please tell me what I can do to help or change things. He sat on his video game, and kept playing while stating that he was moving out when he was 17 so that I shouldn't care.So, at this point I'm willing to ride the wave until he's 17 and let him peacefully move out. But, that was not what I wanted. I wanted him to graduate highschool and maybe try college or save up to have a apartment and eventually home of his own. And, I know that if he were to move out when he was 17 he would become a criminal and a "leech off society"He wants to leave to be able to have no consequences for his actions and be able to do whatever he wants and from the angry and abusive behavior that he has shown..I know it's going to land him in jail or atleast severe legal trouble.I've been depressed and anxious for weeks because you hear all these stories where a parents child was troubled and they sought out the help and the child changed their life around. I tried every resource and my nephew does not give a fuck plain as day. I love him like if he was my son.And, all the love and care I've given him doesn't mean anything in the end. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2S3N4fD
No comments:
Post a Comment