Wednesday, 3 October 2018

Bad Day in the Trenches


My daughter, who has autism level one ( Aspergers) was in a behavioral unit at school for several years because of her violent meltdowns. The plan was to gradually reintegrate her into mainstream classes.After lots of therapy, acquiring a service dog, working on coping skills and school work for hours every day, and many, many meetings, she was finally 100% mainstreamed this year (with the support of aides). She hated the behavioral unit and seemed happy.Well, the past couple of weeks have been awful. I received her mid-term report and she is failing two classes. Her test grades are fine, but she is not doing class work or turning in homework, even though we do it at home every evening. She just doesn’t bother. If a subject is not something she likes, she doesn’t see the point. This has led to hours of tracking down missing assignments to try to boost her grades.Today I got a call that she has thrown a pair of scissors. She almost hit an aide and the scissors stuck in the teacher’s desk. She has been removed from that class and I have a meeting on Monday to decide what will happen next.She is in the 8th grade and obviously can’t continue on to high school with these issues. I’m out of ideas. We live in a rural area and she’s already in the best school for her needs. I’m out of options.Not really asking for advice, just hoping some other special needs parents can relate. I’m pretty devastated that she is choosing to throw away all her hard work. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2xV9uEH

No comments:

Post a Comment