Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Intervention for non-talking toddler: when?


So, the tl;dr of it is that my toddler is about to turn 16 months and still isn't really talking much. She says a couple of quasi-identifiable words each in French and English, and then she has a couple of additional "words" that bear no relation to any real word but clearly have a meaning (e.g. there's a sound she makes when one of our dogs comes in the room, when she sees a dog outside, when she reads a book about a dog, etc. It doesn't sound like "dog" in either language but clearly is a "word" to her). In either case, it's maybe 4 words total, and she hasn't learned any new ones in a while.Today at a pediatrician visit, the doctor recommended getting early speech therapy intervention for her due to the fact that she's not saying more words. But a) I've read conflicting things about how normal vs. abnormal it is for a kid to not really be talking yet at this age, b) I know bilingual kids talk later overall, and c) I really do not trust this doctor/practice in general due to bad past advice (recommending aggressive medical intervention with some very horrible potential side effects for a non-problematic issue that often resolves itself, and did in my daughter's case). So I'm not leaping to take their advice, but also don't want to ignore a potential problem. I also have nothing against speech therapy at all; I had it myself when I was a kid due to a genetic hearing disorder (which my daughter doesn't have).So, what would/did you do in a case like this? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rN1u7D

No comments:

Post a Comment