Sunday, 19 April 2020

I quit. I quit home-learning. See you in third grade!


Y’all, I’m done. I am aware that many people are reporting their children’s teachers going to extraordinary lengths to engage with their students. And I am utterly in awe of teachers in general, since before the pandemic. But my daughter 2nd grade teacher is just a dud. He came mid-year as a permanent sub after a midlife career transition to teaching from finance. He’s sarcastic and cold and unhelpful and the transition to home-learning has taken it to a new level. He sends the wrong info, doesn’t answer questions, I don’t really know what he’s doing.Even before the stay-home order, he was perfectly content with the fact my daughter was struggling in math and it took repeated messages to him to please supply us with relevant work to practice at home (versus general math game websites that have nothing to do with the concepts they are on). She literally was just copying others or the sample problems from the smart board and we could not discern this at home because her papers were all 100s. She knows almost nothing about 2nd grade math, turns out, and got so anxious about it that recovery has been really hard. She is quiet and well behaved in class and just totally was off his radar, despite many messages from us expressing concern after doing some practice exercises at home. I’m not sure he’s actually ever talked to her. She increasingly resisted going to school as the year went on and now hates school (she used to love it).Anyway, so here comes home-learning and what a mess. My husband and I are both essential workers so my MIL (who can’t use a computer) is home with her. Her 11yo sis can help some but each evening I work with her on math and then we map out the lessons for the next day. Except I can’t, because teacher won’t share details of some things until the day of. I’ve repeatedly asked if we could please get info the night before so we can set things up (like Zoom meetings), but he refuses.So, I’m finished. There is no info from the school or district about what is happening here (even though neighboring districts have shared long-term plans clearly), the communication is terrible (though the principal is sure to make social media posts of herself in wigs for “wacky Wednesday” or whatever. Don’t know about you, but my 7yo doesn’t use Twitter, so who are these for?).I am going to work with her through her math workbook, continue writing and reading (she’s a whiz at reading) and stop trying to communicate with this guy. I’m going to figure out a way to soothe her math anxiety and just try to get her to fall back in love with learning. Hopefully we can start 3rd grade fresh.End rant. Thanks for reading. Tips appreciated. Hope you are all well and safe. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3cwlDSo

No comments:

Post a Comment