Saturday, 22 February 2020

Punishment for teen distracted driving accident


Throwaway account just because...This turned into a rather long post because I truly want whoever responds to understand all the elements.I'm trying to do a sanity check on my planned approach to our teen's accident this morning since my wife and I are pretty far apart in terms of an appropriate response level. Both wife and daughter are out of the house right now so I'm stuck bouncing this off of the dog and he's not really contributing much.Background:We have two teen drivers for whom we bought a third car last Summer. We've consistently emphasized the importance of not using their phones while driving and made it a point to model that behavior in the years leading up to them getting their licenses. We also chose a mint, low-mileage 2-year-old car for them that has Apple Carplay so they could use basic functions like phone and navigation by voice (only when absolutely necessary). Our daughter (16) is normally VERY responsible and makes good decisions (4.7/4.0 GPA, National Honor Society, peer leader/tutor in high school, varsity athlete, works a side job, etc.). We use the Life360 app to monitor driving behavior and have had a couple of discussions about speeding but neither kid has had significant driving issues.The Incident:This morning, shortly after leaving for a math team meet, our daughter ran back into the house frantic because she ran over the next-door neighbor's mailbox (one of those plastic ones on a post), then panicked and backed up into the across-the-street neighbor's brick mailbox. She admitted that she was using her phone as she pulled out of the driveway to find somewhere to get coffee on her way to school and veered too far left as she drove down the street. Fortunately, our daughter wasn't hurt and was lucky that the neighbor wasn't out getting her mail and someone wasn't walking their dog near the area. Anecdotally, I've always stressed with both kids that there are truly very few accidents in life...most "accidents" are the result of neglectful behavior by someone and are largely avoidable by simply doing the right thing. This is a perfect example of an avoidable accident.The Property Damage:Neighbor 1's plastic/wood post mailbox is completely destroyed and needs to be replaced. Neighbor 2's brick mailbox has a couple of chips in it. The kids' car has a cracked lower front left fascia and the entire front bumper will need to be replaced. The plastic wheel well and surrounding plastic trim was all ripped out and need to be replaced. The left rear bumper is dented, as is the trunk lid - both probably repairable. I don't yet know what else may have been damaged underneath the car.Our Differing Thinking:Although our daughter has always been a model citizen, I believe she needs to experience some (relatively) severe repercussions because distracted driving is such a huge problem and this is an opportunity to impose consequences that will create a lasting impression on her (and our son) to underscore the importance of not being distracted with their phone while driving. My wife thinks our daughter understands how much she screwed up and feels bad enough so that she'll never do it again.My Planned Consequences:Have her apologize in person to each neighbor and let them know that she plans on fixing the damage. This is so she has to experience the discomfort of facing people that she's wronged with irresponsible actions (I'll go with but hang back...just in case there's a disproportionate reaction from one of them). I've already ordered a new mailbox for neighbor 1 (it will come out of daughter's money). We'll see if neighbor 2 wants the chipped brick repaired (doubtful, but who knows).Have her actually install the mailbox 1 when it arrives tomorrow. This is so she can appreciate the amount of work required to repair the damage.Have her arrange an appointment at the repair shop and take the car to get an estimate for repairing the damage (I'm guessing it'll lowish 4-figures). This is so she (1) has to deal with the inconvenience of taking the car to the shop and (2) understands the magnitude of work and money required to fix it.Make her work through the numbers to figure out the financial impact of either paying out of pocket or going through the insurance, paying the deductible, and paying a higher premium because we'd lose the good driver discount (we pay the insurance, not them). This is to teach her the long-term financial impact of a bad decision behind the wheel.Impose a monetary fine (probably $75). This is to mirror what she would have had to pay if she had received a ticket for distracted driving (BTW, that's changing to $1000 in our state this year).Suspend her driving privileges for 60 days. This is to reinforce that driving is a privilege and should be approached in a thoughtful, responsible manner. It also mirrors a possible suspension of her license by the state if she'd gotten a ticket.Make her either arrange her own rides or pay/exchange chores with her brother to drive her to work and practices. This is so she feels the real-world pain of what can happen when you wreck your car.Suspend phone privileges for 30 days. This emphasizes that the phone is a privilege and shouldn't be the primary focus at times.Ground her for 30 days. I'll freely admit that this one is purely punitive and may be over the top because I'm pissed at her for making such a bad decision.Have her write a short essay about what this experience has taught her and how it will impact her going forward. She's a very introspective person already, but this is to document her thinking and serve as a discussion tool.​My Wife's Position:She's on board with numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 above but thinks that the rest is too much. During our 21-year marriage and 18-year parenting run, she's primarily been the nurturing, empathetic one ("everything will be OK") while I've carried the main responsibility of doling out punishments and trying to teach them life lessons. I'm the bad cop to her good cop...not ideal, but that's the way it's shaken out.So...am I being too excessive? Any other approaches that might seem appropriate? TIA.TLDR: daughter had a "minor" accident (but still likely a few thousand $$ of damage) using her phone while driving. Am I being too harsh with the consequences (the last paragraph) I want to impose?Edit: sp via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/39WOvSe

No comments:

Post a Comment