Monday, 23 December 2019

Help with explaining to a 6 year old about the loss of his little brother


Hello all,Yesterday morning our 2.5 year old sadly passed away. He'd experienced a lifelong fight against liver disease, received a life-saving liver transplant in January of this year, but was then diagnosed with a post-transplant form of cancer just 4 weeks ago and devastatingly fell asleep in mine and my husband's arms yesterday morning.We've explained to our 6 yo that his little brother is now in heaven but he is asking many awkward questions:"how can (little brother) be in heaven if he's still at the hospital?" - we're not religious at all but I told him his soul went to heaven but his body is still here"what's a soul?" - how do you explain that one?"what happens now?" - we have a funeral for him and lay him to rest"how can we lay him to rest if he's in heaven?" - I can't possibly tell him that we put him in a coffin and then have him cremated. That's enough to scare him for life."will (little brother) ever come home?" - in a sense yes, we'll have his ashes at home eventually but how do I explain that to him? What ashes are?Has anyone ever experienced anything similar and found a way to explain everything to their children in a way they can understand and without scaring them? My 6yo is an extremely intelligent boy, way clever beyond his years. I don't want to nessecarily lie but I'd like a way to sugar-coat the truth.Thanks in advance. And please hug your babies tight and tell them you love them. Tomorrow isn't promised.TLDR: how can I gently explain death and the processes thereafter to my 6yo via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PPSs4g

No comments:

Post a Comment