Monday, 4 November 2019

[UPDATE]When teaching empathy and kindness goes too far?


In my last post I asked for advice for how to fix an issue where my child had befriended an overbearing lonely kid. This other child had gotten to the point where he was suffocating my child and wouldn't allow my child any time or space or friendships outside of the two of them. My child was feeling like what he wanted didn't matter and just resigned himself to having to deal with it.After I posted here, I talked to him at length about the whole situation, did role playing and tried to do things to build up his confidence again. I spoke to his sensei and he worked with the kids in class too.So a few days go by and Halloween comes around. My son and some of his friends decided to go trick or treating. I was thrilled but he was worried about this other kid trying to tag along and ruin his time. So I assured him that I would back him up if the parents contacted me and tried to coach him on what to say if the boy asked him directly and to feel free to blame it on me.So, the afternoon of Halloween arrives, the kids are already out trick or treating and I get a text message saying that it's my fault that their child isn't able to go out trick or treating because I told my child that he couldn't go with him. Turns out, my child told a really bad lie about why he couldn't go with this other child and the parents decided to confront me on it. I responded with something along the lines of, "Yah I said that but not exactly that, it must've been mixed up in the translation, but yes, my child is out trick or treating without your child and no, I won't tell you where they are, sorry." (not that bluntly and a lot more politely but that's the gist of it)The parents flip out. They never asked me about trick or treating and their child only asked mine as they were walking home from school that day. They blamed me for their child not being able to go trick or treating and for lying. I didn't lie, I just told them their child wasn't invited along with my child and told them it wasn't our place to invite others when my child was invited along with another group. They pushed and pushed and I didn't give in and finally gave them a shitty response "Ok, enough" back that stopped the texts.The next day at school, I went up to be sure the parents weren't there to confront my child or do anything stupid, but thankfully, they weren't there and I saw no sign of the other child. My child said at lunch that day that the other child didn't really bother him.I'm going to see how things go today after school, but I'm so glad that my child stood up for himself and that I backed him on it, even though it was hard to see another child hurt. I didn't want that, but honestly at this point, I have to look out for my kid first.Thank you for your help and advice. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NCKkBI

No comments:

Post a Comment