
My 11yo son has ADHD.Since he was 4, he hasn't listened to the rules. Nights are the worst. He won't go to sleep without getting out of his room several times. He used to sneak out to watch TV, which only stopped when we turned off the Wifi on them after bedtime with our router. But he keeps going to his sister's room, taking food upstairs, stealing electronics when he can (it's been years - I mean he KNOWS he's not allowed to). He just ran into me with his headphones on and the Nintendo Switch in the bathroom at 5am, and that's after I took his tablet away from him after he sneaked downstairs to get it last night (and lied about it too). Last night I had to tell him 3 times to leave his sister's room too (he still came from it this morning).He keeps doing things like climbing on the dog's gate (he knows he's not allowed), he sold my daughter's new helmet for $1 during a yard sale (I guess it sounded like a good idea at the time?), he just never thinks about the consequences about what he's doing.When you ask him why he does it and have conversations about why sleep is important, he says he can't sleep, and he doesn't know why he does things he's not supposed to do. The psychiatrist thinks that he just lacks impulse control because of ADHD, which is nice and all, but we need to do something about it. School is starting in 10 days and he's starting middle school. He got an IEP now because he wouldn't focus in class, would get upset all the time, and kept asking to go to the bathroom (which he uses to escape when things overwhelm him). Obviously not sleeping at night is not helping.I really need help guys. I don't know how to handle it. We take electronics away for a few days when we catch him sneaking them in his room, but he still does it again as soon as he gets it back. He's even stolen my husband's phone and my daughter's Ipod and of course lied about it. We put the electronics away at night but I'm thinking it's going to have to be in a locked box or something now (which also means that they can't charge). Heck he found his hidden cellphone in the BASEMENT yesterday, while he went looking in the middle of the night... via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ZiWLq4
No comments:
Post a Comment