Friday, 23 August 2019

My 5 year old keeps claiming to believe in God.


Small back story, I'm happily co-parenting with my ex-husband. Like everyone else will say about their own, I have a truly brilliant child. She just started a STEM Kindergarten program. We have honest discussions with her and talk to her like a human being. We always answer her questions appropriately for her age.Her father and I are not religious what so ever. Throughtout her time in daycare I think she only asked once what church was. We explained to her that some people choose to believe in a higher power. Since she's obsessed with Disney she equated the higher powers like the Gods in Hercules. No further questioning on her part.A month or so ago she randomly, and confidently, stated she believes in God and that he created everything. We approached the conversation again by telling her those are some people's opinions, but we choose science over religion. Over the last couple weeks she had stated this again and when asked why she felt that way she did the normal "just cause" kid response.Today over homework she looked at me and asked who Jesus was. I explained that he is supposedly the son of God. She then informed me that even though we didn't believe she did. I'm so lost in how to explain this further to her that I diverted by asking if she wanted a snack and continued homework.Before this gets thrown in my face, I don't care what other people's beliefs are so long as they're not promoting negative thought. I don't want to discourage her from having seperate thoughts and beliefs than ours, but she's 5. I'm just trying to figure out how to appropriately guide this without negative impact.Edit: I'm just trying to have an honest discussion. I am truly sorry if I came off as offensive to anyone's beliefs. As I previously stated I genuinely have no opinion on other people's beliefs so long as they don't promote xenophobia, homophobia, or anything hate based. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/31VoiQb

No comments:

Post a Comment