
So, I mentioned this to a friend with very young kids and she joked about calling CPS... but I feel like I need a real answer.When do most people start to leave their kids home alone? I'm not asking about the law says because my understanding is that it is not specific.My kids are 7 and 4 - almost 8 and almost 5. They are super responsible kids and play extremely well together. As an example, the older one knows how to make scrambled eggs and will occasionally go downstairs and make scrambled eggs for her and her little sister so my husband and I can sleep in.I don't have an especial need to leave them home alone, but lately there have been lots of times when they don't want to come with me and will tell me, "Mom, you go we'll just stay here." These are incredibly quick errands within 1 mile of home, and I am usually back within 30-40 mins if not sooner. It feels like a drag to force them into the car with me when they would just be drawing or crafting at home. We live in a safe area, the house has sturdy locks, they know not to answer the door and won't go into the yard if I'm not home. The 7 year old knows how to use the phone and will sometimes call me if she has an issue (it's usually a crafting based issue, like she can't find glitter glue). I obviously have my cell phone at the ready and always pick up, and in case of any emergency could be back home within minutes. And, to be clear, the 4 year old will only stay home if my 7 year old is at home - I would not leave the 4 year old by herself.Is this normal? Or am I pushing the envelope here? We listened to Anne of Green Gables audiobook the other day and I was reminded that Anne, when she was younger than 10, supposedly took care of three sets of twins. Kids used to do a heck of a lot more than just craft on their own for 30 mins... and part of me thinks if they can stay home alone and feel self confident and capable, I should be encouraging that. Then every time I read some crazy story about a parent being arrested for leaving a child in a park for 5 minutes while they were in the bathroom and I get nervous.So, please be honest with me. How old were your kids when you started leaving them home alone? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2WacE1A
No comments:
Post a Comment