Thursday, 24 January 2019

It's 3am and I'm at the end of my rope.


My son is almost 5 months old, as such he is still getting up every couple of hours to feed, or because he wants some comfort. My wife is the one that usually goes in to him because 1)breasts, and 2)she doesn't have to get up to go to work in the morning. I'm trying to do the good husband thing and get up some of the times, usually if he was just fed a little while ago to comfort him back to sleep. My wife, whether out of nerves or concern, usually gets up as well, until I shoo her out of the room. Anyways, this last night he doesn't want to settle, and he doesn't seem to want anyone but his mother, no matter how I swaddle him or hold him, he screams until she takes over. After the 3rd or 4th time of this, I'm exhausted and frustrated with my son who doesn't seem to get how much I freakin' love him. My wife comes in and takes him in her arms, and he immediately starts to quiet down, I start to leave the room in a huff, and as I look back, my son seems to be looking at me and I grunt out "Yeah, I fucking hate you too."I'm not proud of the comment, but I felt like it was a flippant way of me blowing off the frustration that I felt from the way this whole night was going. My wife on the other hand seems to think I mean some kind of physical harm to my son. I feel like my wife is overeacting, I feel like getting upset is acceptable since parenting is not full of the rainbows and unicorns I was promised. And since I am not taking out my frustration in a physical way, but rather using words that are gibberish to a 4 month old, I don't see the harm. My wife seems to think that I have a deep seated desire to hurt my son, despite my attempts to demonstrate the opposite.Am I acting out inappropriately, is my wife right to be concerned about some subconscious anger I am unaware about? Or does my wife need to relax and let me vent in my own way, and focus on what I do rather than what I say, especially at 3am in the morning when I am suffering from severe lack of sleep? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2UeiwoG

No comments:

Post a Comment