
My daughter has hit a rough time developmentally. She has a new sibling in the home, a two month old sister. She just began kindergarten, over the summer we moved to a much smaller home and she is aware of plans of a long distance move away from our extended family in the not so distant future (two years or less).I've been researching a lot how to help her through this time. She had gotten very defiant. Become a real contrarian, even to her own downfall: "do you want to go to the playground today?" "No, I don't want to" (clearly actually wants to)With the move her bedroom has become less than half the size it used to be and she lost an additional playroom she had on the first floor. With the move, we reduced her toys by more than half. Since being here, I've continued to filter out the ones consistently used irresponsibly (flung everywhere and then abandoned immediately).She still has at least 40 different stand alone toys or sets of toys of every variety. Just today I went in her room and brought it down to that level from the 60 or so she had. It looks like I did nothing. I eliminated the Barbie odds and ends that get flung around and ignored, the infant style playfood, etc.From what I've read, less toys means less mental chaos and more ability to tune in. I feel like this will then trickle down to her other aspects of life in general, because she has a very chaotic and unsettled vibe in general right now with her disposition really negative lately.We devote one on one time, family time, eat family dinner together nightly, go on outings, etc. I want to take her down to 20 or so carefully chosen toys because it's the last thing I have to try. But I'm afraid with so much change in her life, this will be a huge affront and scar her and make things worse.Any input? Anyone downsize the toys big time and have results to share? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2O307Ni
No comments:
Post a Comment