
I'd love to hear suggestions on what we can do to help prevent our 2nd grader from being retained. We're only 6 weeks into the school year, and her teacher is telling me that due to her reading comprehension skills, she might need to repeat 2nd grade next year. How can she know this already? She is reading at a first grade level and tends to get 6/10 questions correct on her comprehension quizzes, which, apparently isn't good? I certainly didn't think it was bad enough for retirement, though.Back story - we moved to a new state where, to be frank, the schools are just better. The state we lived in previously was definitely behind. And the difference between the second graders here and the first graders back there, is astronomical. We had put her in a reading program for about a month and she was improving, but the program ended.So now, she is set to start a reading tutoring program through the new school next week, where they will meet twice a week to work on reading skills. And this will continue through the entire school year. Does anyone have any experience with their child being behind on reading, enough to consider detainment? And are there any suggestions for programs or even apps/games that we could get her to use at home for practice? I don't do tablets with my kids, but if there's something out there that's legit and will help her stay focused (she has ADHD so that makes it all a little trickier) that would be really awesome, but I don't even know where to look. The school suggested Starfall, which she used in Kindergarten, but I found that too distracting for her.ETA -- You all have given me a lot of great suggestions. I appreciate all the help. I haven't been on this sub in like a year, and it feels like people have become a lot more helpful lately. lol. So thanks! I've taken a lot of it to heart, truly. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IADoSO
No comments:
Post a Comment