
Here we go. Please overlook the jagged sentences. I'm pretty upset.My daughter is in elementary school. She has a pot belly. Her dad's side of the family feeds her a lot of southern cooking. And I am guilty as well, since I give her desserts from McDonald's every now and then.I would never ever say anything directly to her about her weight. I am conscious of my weight, as is literally every other woman I have ever met. I'm aware that eating disorders destroy lives and relationships. So even though I think she's a little heavy, I am extremely vigilant about how I talk about food with her. I basically try to just be super rational and say stuff like, sugar isn't good for you. Etcetera.I sent a text to her dad yesterday, saying, "I'm going to take D to the doctor; I think doctor will comment about her weight. We better address this." Basically saying, we need either to make an active decision to eat more healthily, or we need to know what we're going to say when the doctor tells us our kid is chubby.This morning, she texted her dad from my phone. Then she scrolled up and read the message.It is exactly as bad as it sounds, and worse. I actually will continue this post in a bit, because writing this is making me kind of emotional.Poor thing. I can't imagine how betrayed she must feel.I guess I'm looking for commiseration or fellow horror stories. I am well aware of how profound a screw-up this is. I know it's going to last and I know it's going to have intense effects.Ouch.ETA : the rest of the storySo she read that text and said, "My weight? Don't judge." And it's just the most devastating feeling I have probably ever felt. I just hurt her feelings and she's going to have ISSUES and it's exactly what I wanted to avoid.At first it felt like a cruel trick of fate. I tried to clean it up but there's not a lot you can say. I told her I love her just how she is and I never judge her.But it's not fate, not at all. It's my own actions. I see now that I HAVE been judging her, and that I have to do a hard reset on how I think about her and the things I say about her. I just really really wish I could have learned this lesson without flipping breaking her heart in the process. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2HXKgZF
No comments:
Post a Comment