Monday, 19 February 2018

Yes, I'd like cheese with my whine about grandparents


I will try to make this brief. I deleted quite a bit for brevity, but it is still long. I apologize. It is more for me to just complain more than anything, so if you don't want to read the same story that you have probably read 100 times with different characters, I would suggest saving your time.Before I even had a kid I made sure everyone was on board with supporting me. My parents even said they would whenever I needed it. This was one of the reasons why I moved forward with having a kid (you know...having a good support system?). Now that baby is here, I am looking around and, besides my husband, I am alone. Which is fine, she isn't that hard anymore, anyway.Cut to now and it is like pulling teeth (or perhaps a more appropriate analogy might be cutting teeth, har har) to get my parents to take my daughter for 2 hours on the weekend. A real goldilocks situation where it is too late, it is too early, she is too fussy... you know it isn't jusssst right. Basically, they only want her if she is super easy and napping the whole 2 hours. Except, as I am sure you are all aware, babies don't work that way. Most days she doesn't even adhere to the schedule I try to make for her. Plus, there is a 0% chance that I am going to do all the work of getting her to take a nap (there is a whole routine) for me to stuff her in the car, drive over, take her out of the car, transfer her and pray to the infant gods that she doesn't wake up at any point during this.On top of all this they are becoming more and more ridiculous. For instance, last week my parents got upset at me since they had her from 7-9 pm...because they were busy every time else. They texted at about 8:20pm for me to go get her, because she was being difficult. Which I get. Even I have to use a lot of energy to pacify her at that time (from 8 to 9, it is like wearing her out before the big nighttime sleep), and to be frank, I know they don't want to put in that much work. So let's just do it at another time. Fair enough.Anyway, this past weekend at 6:30 pm, they asked 'do you need help with (baby)?', after I tried to reach out to set a time up before that... JUST LIKE THE WEEK BEFORE. I know the 7-9pm time slot is rougher and they can't handle it, so I just said no, I dont need help. But, tbh, they never have time before 6pm on Sunday, so unless I hit 6pm every single week with a happy and nappy baby, they will just complain. Not to mention that a 6 pm nap time will just push her bedtime further back and makes absolutely no sense at all to do.It just seems to be a much bigger headache than what it is worth, but the problem with babysitters is that most of them want to babysit at our house. And yes, it makes sense to do that, because our house is baby proofed with all the toys, but I use that time to vacuum and clean her play area (living room) and everything else. Plus, my husband and I bump uglies in that time as well. No, we can't just move her toys to another room because we have a 2 bedroom house, and my BIL and his GF live in that room (the nursury...as you can guess, we didn't plan on them). No, we can't kick them out because she is due in May and I can't consciously sleep knowing that my newborn nephew (no matter how messed the situation and parents are) is sleeping in a homeless shelter. I simply do not have it in me.For some backstory, she had colic so I couldn't do this before 5 or 6 months. In other words, I started this when I felt confident that she wouldn't scream the whole time. She is 8 months old, so I know separation anxiety might be kicking in as well. 9 pm is also the start of the bedtime routine that she has been on since practically birth and it is the only time that works right now (we give a 1 hour flex either way to see what works and stick to one time until it stops working). The other grandma is worthless (other grandpa is dead, but would have been worthless as well), and everyone else who said they would be there, just aren't every time that we ask.Tl;dr: Everyone said they would be there for me which was a major factor of me having a kid. Turns out it was just lip service. Can't even use the space in my house, because no good deed goes unpunished and my BIL and his gf are still using the nursury (whole different shit show there). Can't use a babysitter, because we need that 2 hours to house clean with sprays, vacuums and other similar chores. My friends are busy with their own lives and the other family members who swore they would help are either too busy or too old (physically can't lift 25 lbs of baby well) to babysit.Thanks for reading my rant if you did. I don't and won't say anything to my parents, because they didn't have the kid. It just pisses me off is all. I'll get over it soon enough and stop relying on them (don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to rely on them in the first place), but for now I just wanted somewhere to complain. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2BCW4Qb

No comments:

Post a Comment