Monday, 19 February 2018

Hooray for small triumphs


Sorry if this gets a bit wordy. My 15 year old son (who has autism) will correct and debate to a level of semantics that would make a politician squirm. He's driven his stepmother to a point of desperation. It puts the two of them at each other's throats like fighting dogs with me in the middle of it trying to keep the peace. Then something happened. I don't know if I should call this reverse psychology or presenting as a challenge or what, but it worked (for now).On Saturday I told him to take the big trash can to the curb. Garbage won't come till Tues because of the holiday and he corrected me. Instead of berating him or saying, "so what, I'm in charge right?" I said "I did that because I knew you would argue with me. It was a test and now you have to do it anyway."This had an unexpected effect. He stopped arguing with me and I decided to inform stepmom. I told her from now on to do that when he would argue with her. So she tried it. She tried again. Try as she might, he wouldn't argue with her. Total turn around.She was so amazed she suggested he have an hour of video games even though he's currently grounded for his grades. I suggested she be the one to give it to him. He needed to get some positive interaction from her that wasn't angry and she needed him more cooperative with her. Win win.I don't know how long it will last, but there has been peace in the house this weekend and I'm glad! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2sFbsc2

No comments:

Post a Comment